Sunday, April 27, 2008

Friday's Lesson

So... despite having taught in class on numerous occasions, Friday received the least amount of interaction of all of them.
I went in thinking, I've got a fun, visually, musically pleasing lesson that will get the class talking. But when I first started speaking, just after the first video, the lifeless faces of the class shocked me. I lost my words for a moment. But I kept plugging through. Then when it was time to ask the class to brainstorm, still no one seemed awake. I felt like I was pulling teeth getting one or two responses.
Quite frankly, it made me feel awful. What had I done wrong? Talking with Dr. Luongo and Mrs. Millite (sp?) after class made me realize, it may not have been my lesson format, or even the way I presented it. There are days when the first class in the morning is still going to be asleep. And at least I kept going... I suppose that was something.
The lesson made me realize that as a teacher you can't bat 1.000 with lesson plans. It's much more about the trial and error. That's why it's important to reflect on individual lesson plans, so the next year around you can make adjustments to fit your class better.

No comments: